Hello and welcome to my portfolio website. Let me introduce myself… My name is Claire Louise Frieling. I’m originally from England, and moved to Chicago to be with my future-husband Darin after meeting him in Thailand in 2006. We now live in Oak Park, and now have two young sons, Archer and Jack. I have been working as a Graphic Designer & Art Director since graduating from the University for the Creative Arts in Epsom, England in 2001.
I am fortunate to have worked for many prestigious clients across a broad range of design disciplines; Advertising and magazine design for Harrods, Packaging design for Penhaligon’s perfumes, Tru Fragrance and iPod accessories, Art Direction and Graphic Design for Worldwide advertising agencies and fashion brands, catalogs and brochures for retail giants ULTA Beauty and OfficeMax and POS for Claire’s Accessories and MillerCoors. I also help small businesses and start ups with logos, business cards, print ads and websites and relish in helping with personal design requests, such as wedding and shower invitations.
I love all aspects of Design! I started a fashion label called Rudy Ludy, back in 2005. Fun, bold graphic printed t-shirts for babies and kids. I am passionate about Interior Design and enjoy working on home DIY projects and gardening. Please see my resume below. You can also download my resume as a PDF.
Graphic Designer and Art Director with sixteen years experience and the ability to work under pressure. Takes projects through from concept to completion, including research, brainstorming, photo shoots, design and production. Creative vision, superb communication and organizational skills, an excellent team leader.
Freelance Designer and Project Manager – Shiraleah (5/2016 – present)
• Design, layout and project management of the Shiraleah Fashion, Home and Holiday wholesale catalogs.
• 3 catalogs of up to 220 pages, twice yearly. (Spring/Summer and Fall/Winter)
• Led complete redesign starting with the Fall/Winter 2016 catalogs.
• Manage Production and Pre-Press and lead in all communication with the team at Shiraleah.
Lead Designer for Madden Communications – InHaus MillerCoors Team (3/2013 – 2/2014)
• Led a team of four designers in the creation of POS Advertising for MillerCoors Beer and Cider Brands• Concepts, Design and Production including pre-flight and pulling proofs
• Working closely with MillerCoors Account Executives to take briefs and ensure requirements were met
• Responsible for creating schedules, assigning and overseeing projects, maintaining and teaching brand standards, developing and maintaining an efficient creative server structure and proofreading
Freelance Senior Graphic Designer for ULTA Beauty (6/2008 – 1/2013)
• Design and Layout of Catalogs, Direct Mail and Promotional Materials
• Packaging Design, In-store signage and POS
• Salon Training Guides
Cradle Holdings – London, UK (5/2004 – 7/2005)
• Luxury perfume and beauty brands, Penhaligon’s, L’Artisan Parfumer and Erno Laszlo
• Graphic Designer & Artworker for the Marketing, Retail and Product Design teams
• In-store graphics, POS, POP, packaging, advertising, email promotions and company newsletters
• Working with worldwide manufacturers to insure that production was of the highest standard
• Visiting printers to check color and quality on packaging
Freeman’s Fashion Catalog – London, UK (7/2001 – 5/2004)
• Graphic Designer & Art Director for the Creative Services, PR and Marketing departments
• Advertising, direct mail, newsletters, magazines, stationary, leaflets and brochures, invites and PR
• Attended trend presentations and researched competitors
• Commissioned models, styled and art directed photographic shoots
Various Freelance Graphic Design & Art Direction – (07/2005 – present)
The DuPuis Group, Alley Cat Decor, Fantastic Sam’s, Tukaiz (Redbox, NJOY, Frito Lay, Levy Restaurants), Stevens & Tate (Walgreens), Tru Fragrance, General Growth Properties, Schawk! (Kmart), Solis Energy Solutions, Elite Communications, Claire’s Accessories, OfficeMax, Edamame Inc., Blue Chip Marketing (Proctor & Gamble), John & Low (ALDI), Chicago Transit Authority, Aspen Marketing Services (Qwest), Disruptive Ltd. (iPod accessories), DMC London – Part of TWBA Worldwide Advertising (CarLand, Mercedes-Benz), TLC Marketing, Wunderman EMEA Headquarters, Weber Shandwick Advertising Agency (Coca-Cola), Arcadia Group Ltd (Dorothy Perkins, Principles and Topshop Fashion Brands), Carney Richardson (ALDI), Harrods, Emap – (New Woman, FHM)
University for the Creative Arts, Epsom, England. Graduation 7/ 2001
- BA Honors Degree in Graphic Design – (2:1)
- RSA Desktop Publishing Certificate in Quark Xpress – 6/2000
- Foundation Studies in Art and Design – (Distinction) – 6/1998
Adobe Dreamweaver CS5 Level 1: Adobe Certified, Assertiveness at work, Effective presentations, Time Management, Web Design for Creative Business, 10 steps to Entrepreneurship, NLP for Business (Neuro-Linguistic Programming), Color in Design, Aquent Coding for Designers.
Expert in the Creative Suite: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and WordPress.
Understands HTML and CSS principles. Familiarity with Chrome Developer Tools and Twitter Bootstrap. Can work directly in CSS to modify sites and designs and can work with front-end developers. Skilled in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Advertising, Apparel Design, Brand Identity, Brochures, Catalogs, Copywriting, Direct Mail, Email Marketing, Environmental Graphics, Fashion, Gift Cards, Illustration, Invitations, Large Format, Logos, Magazines, Marketing, On-Premise, Packaging, POP, Photography, Photo Shoots, POS, Print, Print Production, Retouching, Social Media, Typography, Web Design.
Anna Wilson – Like Minds Click – Founder
“Claire Frieling is an excellent graphic designer. She helped me with a web site project, and I found her to be patient and a good listener. She digested my goals and helped me come up with a solution. I appreciated that she’s the sort of designer who also helps with strategic recommendations. She delivered on time (even when she was on vacation!) I recommend Claire as a valued design partner.”
Chad Morris – Cumulus Technologies Group – Founder
“CLD come highly recommended. We were in a pinch for a logo and re-design of our website and Claire really saved us a lot of capital and time getting the image and brand of our business perfect. As we are in the IT services industry, our needs were meet fully in regards to a “tech” look and feel and a logo that matched. Thanks again Claire!”
Liberty McCarty – Joey’s Pancakes – Co-Owner/Founder
“I tried to do my website myself and it looked like a ‘do it yourself’ job. Claire quickly saved the day and transformed it into a masterpiece. She captured our brand perfectly. We are so lucky to have worked with her.”
Tanya Ferguson – Floral Accents – Owner
“Claire has done an amazing job to create me a logo, letterhead and business card for my new business – all of which I love! Being a new business, I wasn’t sure what design I wanted, but Claire came up with lots of suggestions and options for me to choose from and was incredibly patient with me when I asked her to show me different color schemes etc. I can’t thank her enough – I have a logo which I love and one that really sums up my business aspirations. Thank you Claire!”
Cary and Ruth – Chicago
“I’m so grateful to have had Claire’s talents work on a wedding invitation on extremely short notice. She bent over backwards to honor our wishes, and her intuition proved to be as keen as her website is compelling. Claire is delightful to work with and we are delighted with what she created for us. Thank you!”
Tom Rascati – ULTA Beauty – Creative Director
“I am happy to introduce you to a very dynamic designer I have had the pleasure of working with here in Chicago. Claire is one of the most broad-minded, creative talents I have ever worked with. On top of that, she really understands strategy and parameters of projects which has helped me many times when I have needed quick, on-target solutions. Claire is also a lovely person to work with and is adored here at ULTA.”
Laura Wagner – MW & Sons
“Claire has been a great help to our company… not only with her stunning design work, but also with her sound marketing advice. You’re a pleasure to work with Claire. Thanks!”
Mark McCann – Miami Apartment Locators
“Claire did an amazing job designing a new logo for my company – Miami Apartment Locators. She also created a flyer that has helped generate tons of new business. Thanks for all your help, Claire!!”
Emma Campagna – Melbourne, Australia
“Claire designed us the most beautiful wedding invitations and we would definitely recommend her if you were looking for something which was special and unique.”
Nourhy Chiriboga – Now Massage
“Claire is a true professional and talented to boot. She puts a lot of effort into everything she does and she is very easy to work with. I have and will continue to recommend her services to others.”